Monday, July 20, 2015

Free Matchups – Results & Cup Standings

I would like to start by thanking all who participated, we had a nice turn out for this type of event.   

I would like to congratulate all of those who won their individual matchups.  From what I could tell (during my meandering throughout the rounds), everyone played some intense and hard fought games.  Below, I have updated/created the standing for the inaugural Charlie’s Cup.  The list is sorted first by total points, then by alphabetical order (eventually, I’ll up update charlieschessclub.com, and dedicate a page to the cup standings). 

At the moment Nitant Kenkre and Jonah Romero are leading pack, going a perfect 2/2 in each of their respective matchups this past weekend.  Well done gentlemen!  Now I would like to tip my hat to a true gentleman, Gregory Stricklin.  His second game went down to the wire, he and his opponent each had less than 2 minutes on their clocks. He had an overwhelming winning position, matter of fact his opponent didn’t even have mating material.  Play got frantic, and he made an illegal move (which isn’t a big deal in the least), but he felt bad about it and offered a draw. His opponent, obviously, jumped at the opportunity and shook his hand.  Completely dumbfounded and shocked, I asked Greg, why he offered a draw. To paraphrase his response, he stated, my opponent was better during the first part of the game, but then we both got short on time and started making bad moves.  Then I made an illegal move, so I think all in all a draw is fair…and I’m happy with the outcome; because I feel like I have made progress today.  Personally, a few things would have to freeze over before I ever made such a noble gesture, but I have to say the fact that Greg did, is pretty awesome!!! It tells me, the man simply loves the game and isn’t solely occupied with winning and losing. A man cut from a different cloth than most…

While, I’m still fiddling with my hat, I would like to take it off for the next player, Jim Johnston. As of late, Jim has gone on a real tear!  Scoring a very impressive 6.5/7 in the past 3 weeks.  Winning the reserve section in Albuquerque Open with a clean 5-0, and this past weekend emerging the victor in his match up, simply outstanding!

Thanks again, and hope to see you at our next event.  



No comments:

Post a Comment