Monday, August 17, 2015

A wounded lion can still bite!

Hello, so this is the first annotated game I’ve posted on this blog, which will eventually appear in Charlie’s Chronicle.  I would like to say a few words about the publication.  We are creating this periodical for a couple of reasons: first, because we have had some of the state’s strongest players compete in our tournaments and their games are of interest, secondly, we want to create a publication that a player can read and genuinely learn a lot from, by playing over the annotated games and doing the puzzles (much in the same way you would do with a book), third, because too often I feel like some of this smaller publications give either bad information, or information generated primarily from computer analysis.  As a human, it’s difficult to do things in the same way a computer does, so we may use computers to aid us, for the most part we give human developed variations.  We will also note where and how we used a computer for a particular game.  Which means we have spent a lot of time and effort on each game to give accurate assessments. 

So what games are included, well a lot of the games will probably be my own, the main reason is because it can be rather difficult to get scoresheets from people even though it is mandatory per USCF and FIDE rules; and guess what I have all of my games.  Also, I will occasionally solicit the advice of a GM on a few of my games that I am unsure of, which means I usually have extremely accurate assessments.  With that said, I have asked other strong players to annotate their games for inclusion in this publication.  It is my preference that I would only include one game of my own per tournament, and the rest be from others.  Regardless of your rating/level if you feel like you had a rather brilliant game or one where you have no idea where you went wrong, and would like me to analyze it; send me a pgn file to charlieschessclub@gmail.com with accurate notation (if I feel like there is something instructive to be learned) I will gladly analyze the game for you and include it in the publication. 

Our mission as a club is to promote and grow chess in New Mexico, this periodical is our attempt to serve this goal by helping all players improve.  Consequently, as the editor I make you a promise, that we will strive to only give you excellent advice.  Now on to the first game, I hope you learn something.

Event: 116th U.S. Open
Date: 8/7/15
White: Andrew Richard Flores (2124)
Black: FM Robby Adamson (2360)
Opening: B99 Sicilian Najdorf - Main Line (early 8…h6)

Background information: Going into the 7th round of the U.S. Open, I was having a rather lackluster tournament, but it’s amazing how much one day can make a difference.  Robby is the highest rated player I have faced in a regular rated game, and the only Fide Master.  So when I defeated him it completely changed my perspective about the event.  I went from doubting my own chess abilities to feeling vindicated in thinking that I am a much stronger player than my rating would indicate.  A few of you will see the opening played, and think “makes sense, Andrew beating a higher rated player in the Najdorf,” because a lot of my victories come from brilliant attacks against my opponents’ kings, or from dazzling tactical blows.  Well, not this game, matter a fact in this game I only made one mistake, where on move 32 I couldn’t find the easy win.  On move 30, I actually thought for a long time and I couldn’t find the winning variation.  I ended up playing the first two moves of the combination, but since I couldn’t find the rest of the variation I decided to play it safe and to continue the endgame with an advantage.  Which in a way worked out better for me, because I won this game in a way no one thought I could, demonstrating my technique! Making it even more of an impressive victory.  

1.e4 c5 2.Nf3 d6 3.d4 cxd4 4.Nxd4 Nf6 5.Nc3 a6 The Najdorf variation, theoretically speaking the best opening for black in all of chess! For me this was the first fork in the road, against the Najdorf I play pretty much anything under the sun 6. Be3 (the English Attack) , 6. Be2 (the Karpov System), 6. Bc4 (Fischer-Sozin) and of course the Main Line (6. Bg5). When afforded the opportunity to play the most complex, dynamic, theoretical and sharpest opening variation in all of chess against someone rated about 250 points above me; that was simply a challenge I couldn't pass up.6.Bg5 e6 7.f4 Be7 8.Qf3  h6?!This move is considered to be dubious, and has only been played twice at the top level, because h6 is a very committal move and often it just weakens black's kingside, which is generally not a good thing when white can advance with g4 and g5 and black is relatively helpless against it.  With that said, black makes this move because it limits the possibilities that white can steer the game. So it's not completely without merit.9.Bh4 Qc7 10.0-0-0 Nbd7 11.Be2 0-0 12.Bd3!? Initially, black's last move looked really bad to me, he is just castling into an attack, but it turns out this is a pretty good move, and has a great theoretical standing.  So at this point and time I'm on my own, and we'll say with my last move I came up with a novelty ;). Didn't white just move his bishop on the last move, why would he move it a second time on the very next move? Doesn't this violate opening principles, is he at a loss on how to continue? Objectively speaking, my last move, though a novelty, is actually a really good move. Although, the Najdorf is known for being extremely tactical, this position doesn't require a lot of calculation, mostly strategic thinking (mid to long term planning with identification of tactical ideas in the positions likely to arise). The bishop on e2 doesn't stand very well.  In this position, black's main plan is to play with...b5, ...b4 to kick the knight away from the defense of the white king, the d5 square, and the e4 pawn.  After ...b4, if the light square bishop remains on its current square the knight will be relegated to a4, and will be shut out of the game for a long time. White's king is perfectly safe, and black won't be able to play d5 without making some serious concessions. So the only threat white has to worry about is the safety of his e4 pawn, because eventually black will play Bb7 and Nc5 exerting pressure on whites center. So my plan is to move the bishop (d3), followed by playing g4, Nce2 and Ng3.the queen's knight, stands better on g3 than c3, from g3 he can still protect e4 and can join the party in laying siege to the black king. b5 13.g4 b4  14.Nce2  Bb7  15.g5 hxg5 16.BxgS Rfc8= both sides are executing pretty standard plans for this type of position. 17.Rhg1 Nc5 18.Ng3 Nxd3+?! Releasing the tension a little too early, and fundamentally going against the grain of the opening. Also, heading for an endgame that is better for white. 19.Qxd3 Qc4  20.Kb1  Qxd3  21.cxd3±  Garry Kasparov made a dvd series on the Najdorf, and he said something like, the Najdorf doesn't guarantee the stronger player victory, but provides chances for both sides, in a later clip he continues ... unless the direction of the game goes down a positional path. Then the stronger player is almost always assured victory. What can I say, Kas was right! ;) When determining when the endgame begins, I generally agree with the old Soviets definition of after the queens are exchanged. What's the evaluation of this endgame?


Material is equal, white has more space, better piece coordination, but more importantly a safer king! My opponent decided to go in for this line, because he felt like with queens off the board his King would no longer have anything to worry about, objectively (computer wise) speaking he is fine, but unfortunately for him from a practical stand point his weakening 8th move is about to haunt him. 21…Kf8  22.Rdf1 Nd7? Black's one trump in this position are his two bishops advantage, but he's trading it away?!?! 23.Bxe7+ Kxe7 24.f5! He who stands better has the right and obligation to attack. It's time to get this party started. 24…Rg8 25.Nh5 Nc5? [ 25...g5 Was the only way for him to maintain the balance. Up to this point, my opponent made a few positionally dubious moves, but for the most part was objectively playing the top move at every turn. Here he slips up, and gives me a definite edge]. 26.Rxg7 Rxg7 27.f6+!+- Capitalizing on my opportunity , by gaining a passed pawn on the seventh rank. I now have my teeth around his neck. 27…Kf8 28.fxg7+ Kg8 29.Rf6 Rc8 At this point in the game I was up about an hour on the clock, something like 1:13 minutes to O:15. I could smell the blood in the water , and I knew I had to be up something big on the computer evaluation like +10.00, well I was wrong I was up +16.53.  So I spent some serious time trying find the win, 39.36 to be exact, and I simply couldn't find the win.  I was very frustrated with myself at the board, so I decided to make a practical decision and play the game out with an advantage.  I ended up playing the first two moves of the combo, but could find the rest of the continuation. If you would like to try and beat the expert, cover up the rest of the game and trying and find the winning combo. See diagram below. I'll write the winning combination at the end of the game.  

White to move and win

30.Rh6  f6 31.Rh8+  Kf7 32.Rh6?? See the end of the game for the winning variation . Nxe4 Unfortunately, I can't take the knight because of a trap he set for me. 33.Nb3± [ If 33.dxe4  Bxe4+ 34.Nc2 Bxc2+ 35.Kc1 Bg6+ 36.Kd2 Bxh5 37.Rxh5 Kxg7-+ ] 33...NcS 34.Rxf6+ Ke7 3S.NxcS dxcS 36.Rg6  Kf7 37.Rf6+  Ke7 38.Kc2  Rg8 39.Rg6 Kf7 40.Rg3 Here I thought it was kind of cool, I was getting a little low on time, so I repeated the position a few times in order to make time control. So the dust had settled, my opponent and I both made the time control and had about an hour each to make all of our remaining moves. Let's take stock of the position.

On move 32, I thought for about 15 minutes, and instead of continuing to try and find the immediate win, I calculated out this resulting position. Going in for this hinged on my evaluation of this position. I'm up a passed pawn on the 7th rank, and I also have passed pawn on the h-file, plus his rook is consigned to preventing my g pawn from promoting, and his bishop looks good but it is hitting thin air. Also, since my pawn is on a dark square he can never win it without me allowing it. His only hope of attempting to win it would be to kick my knight off of the h5 square, but my rook controls f3 so he would have to go to e8 with the bishop; but in doing so he would have to move his king away from the g pawn.  So white hold all the cards, he just has to restrict blacks activity and start suffocating him, much like a lion does to his prey. 40…Bd5 41.Nf4 In the endgame, its often important to take your time and to slowly improve your position. Bc6 [ 41...Rxg7 42.Rxg7+  Kxg7 43.Nxd5 exd5 This king and pawn ending is completely winning for white].
42.Nh5 Bd5 43.b3 Fixing his weak pawns on c5 and b4. 43…a5 44.Nf4 Bb7 45.Rg5 Clearly he's not going to allow me to trade off pieces into a winning king and pawn end game, so here is the fork in the road, how do I try and win? Do I advance the h pawn and try and promote one of my two passed pawns or do I gobble up all of his pawns on the queenside and relinquish my pride and joy on g7 which is serving as a pretty effect bone in my opponent's throat, decisions, decisions. 45…e5 Both plans are good, but one is safer and limits all of blacks counter play. 46.Rxe5!  Rxg7+- good bye my friend 47.RxcS  Rg4 48.Rf5+ With a bishop over a knight, black had hoped he had some drawing chances even a few pawns down.  But unfortunately for him, all of his pawns a fixed on dark squares and in this position, he would  be much better off if they were on light squares so that his bishop could protect them. Ke8  49.h3 Rg3 50.Rxa5  Rf3 This is the last time in the game I really had to think , and decide how I was going to win the game. In endgames, when you're better but can't calculate the game out all the way to victory. You should think where you want your pieces placed, a general plan, and then find the tactical means to achieve your goal.  In this position, I want to trade my h pawn for his b pawn. When that happens, he is going to get some activity and his bishop will come alive, so I want to find a way to protect all three of my pawns, and stop his counter play while I regroup my pieces (i.e. getting my king in the center, my rook behind my pawns, then advance my a and b pawns to the promise land). 51.Ne2! My knight is headed for c1 where it will protect all three of my pawns, and ensure I won't lose any of my pawns. Plus, I can now win his b4 pawn at my leisure, because black can only defend it with his rook from the h4 square, but then I can play Rc4 forcing a trade of rooks or the immediate loss of the b pawn. 51…Rxh3 52.Nc1 Rh2+ 53.Kb1 Bc6 54.Rc5 Bf3 55.Rc4 Bd1 56.Rxb4 The rest of the game is pretty straightforward, and I play it quite well so it is worth looking at the last few moves. 56…Rd2 57.Rc4 Kd7  58.Rc3  Kd6  59.a4 Rh2  60.a5  Rg2  61.b4  Ba4  62.Ra3 Bc6 63.Ra2  Rg1 64.Rb2 Bb5 65.Kc2 Ba4+ 66.Nb3 Kc6 67.Kc3 Kd5 68.Nd4 Rc1+ 69.Nc2  Kc6 70.Kd2 Rh1 71.b5+  Kb7 72.Na3  Ra1 73.Nc4 Bd1 74.Kc3 We continued on for about 20 moves longer, but we both we're below five minutes so I stopped taking notation. This was the final position.



1-0


The winning combo from the first diagram follows: 30. Rh6 f6 31. Rh8+ Kf7 32. Rxc8 (is the simplest but starting with Nc6 also works). 32…Bxc8 33. Nc6 Any move, 34. Ne7 and now black can’t stop white from queening.  








No comments:

Post a Comment